Multi-State Payroll Tax Compliance
This program has been approved HRCI Credit 1
Download Attendee MaterialConference Material (Password Required)
Many states have become aggressive when enforcing their non-resident state income tax withholding rules, and state payroll tax auditors are now questioning whether or not you have workers "performing services" in their state.
The definition of "performing services" also differs for each state, and compliance with each state's rules - and even knowing what they are - is difficult. For instance:
- What do you do when you have an employee with a residence address different from their work address?
- What are the requirements when you decide to hold your annual training in a state that has a state income tax withholding - and no threshold or minimum days required before withholding is expected
- What do you do when you have workers who work in several different states?
Join this webinar with Dayna Reum, CPP, FPC and she will help you to know the taxation and reporting requirements for all states where your organization has employees working - or in some cases - living.
- How to determine "resident" and "non-resident" status - and how they affect the taxation process
- What are the state income tax withholding rules for workers who live in one state and perform services in another
- what nexus and domiciled means - and how it affects tax
- Where is the employee subject to state unemployment insurance
- How reciprocal agreements affect taxation of wages
- The four factor test for state unemployment insurance
- Which states require the use of their own Withholding Allowance Certificate, which states allow either theirs or the Form W-4, and which states don't have a form
- How the 4 part test works - and how all states are supposed to implement this test
- What is done in practice when a worker travels to multiple locations - Are multiple W2's issued? Are employees provided with personal tax assistance? What about tax equalization on a state to state basis?
- What does your payroll system allow or what is your functionality around multistate workers
- Human Resources Executives/Managers/Administrators
- Payroll Executives/Managers/Administrators/Professionals/Practitioners/Entry Level Personnel
- Accounting Personnel
- Business Owners/Executive Officers/Operations and Departmental Managers
- Lawmakers/Attorneys/Legal Professionals
- Any individual or entity that must file the New Form 941 for the remainder of 2020